Wednesday 27 July 2011

The Classic All in One Cake

So where to start? After checking the definition of 'baking' I now realise that there are a few more hurdles to overcome than I had originally thought but with six weeks stretching out in front of me I have more than enough time. Cake is top of my list!

Victoria Sponge Cake or the All in one Method?

I am determined to follow the recipes just as they are whilst I am in learning mode and although I am very keen to tick off the victoria sponge cake box all the recipes that I have call for 2 18cm cake tins, ideally spring form. I have noted that most agree that even the slightest change in size of tins can alter the outcome. I have quite an extensive collection of tins for a non baker but actually no 18cm ones. The Victoria Sponge will just have to wait. The All in One Cake it is then.

Delia's recipe is fairly similiar to most and very reminiscent of my Granny saying 4oz of this and 4oz of that and I liked the reassuring wording of Delia's passage on cakes and so dived straight in, sleeves rolled up and oven on to preheat.

Today I am using a New York purchase, a Nordicware Bundt tin, very Nigella! It's a large size and therefore I am trippling the recipe. My only concern is getting the cake out of the tin and although it's non-stick I have a sneaky suspicion that I am going to have problems getting it to release. Many recommend Wiltons release spray and I have seen it being sold in Jane Asher's Chelsea store but of course I haven't got any to hand. Butter and a piece of kitchen towel will have to surfice.

It's great to be using eggs from our hens. I have 5 from our lovely girls and use a shop bought one to make up the required half dozen. It's free range as well but the yolk is not as yellow.

Into the oven she goes and now just a quick calculation- one lot of the mixture 30 minutes, does that follow that 3 lots of mixture requires 90 minutes? That seems an awfully long time for a cake but I settle on 50 minutes.

50 minutes- just enough time to make some lemon curd as I am keen to try Mary Berry's lemon cheesecake from the demonstration on Saturday. The lemon curd recipe is a favourite of my Granny's and so very simple.

As I am very much the novice I must confess that at 45 minutes into the baking I sat in front of the oven for the last 5 minutes 'umming' and 'aahring' about whether to open the door. I resisted and am very pleased that I did- I did the press test and even skewered it to see if was cooked in the middle- all seemed well.

As suspected getting it out was tricky. I have now ordered some Wiltons spray online. Half the cake came out in one piece so thankfully the lemon drizzle icing hid most of the damage. Importantly it tasted just fine!

I will certainly be doing this recipe again!

No comments:

Post a Comment